Some interesting conversations came up in my writer's group this week about outlining and synopsis writing. We talked about the dreaded one page synopsis vs. the chapter by chapter synopsis. There was a lot of differing opinions about the best way to outline. So in honor of this discussion, I decided to post a blog post about outlining, so everyone could share their favorite way to outline. I'm going to list some of the ways I've organized my thoughts for writing below. Add on your favorite outline method in the comments.
- Index cards with chapter headings rubberbanded together at the bottom of my purse
- scattered scenes jotted onto scrap paper and stuck on my frog magnetic board
- Webs scribbled on hotel pads
- Fancy Scrivener Outline with supporting pictures and Character Sketches
- The Roller Coaster Outline spread across two pages of my journal
- Plot Spreadsheet to thread together my subplots (Thank you to Cheryl Klien for introducing this one to me. Try it out it's helpful!)
How do you outline?