1. "Linderwall was a large kingdom, just east of the Mountains of Morning, where philosophers were highly respected and the number five was fashionable. "
2. "I never had a brain until Freak came along and let me borrow his for awhile, and that's the truth, the whole truth."
3. "We went to the moon to have fun, but the moon turned out to completely suck."
4. "There was a hand in the darkness, and it held a knife."
5. "The week before Mr. and Mrs. Anderson were to leave Tenderly, Ohio, for the somewhat more bustling metropolis of Paris, their babysitter, who had just returned from far-off climes herself, came down with a mild case of bubonic plague and called tearfully to say she didn't want to spread the buboes around."
6. "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single girl of high standing at Longbourn Academy must be in want of a prom date."
7. "In the land of Ingary, where such things as seven-league boots and cloaks of invisibility really exist, it is quite a misfortune to be born the eldest of three."