Monday, August 15, 2016

My #Litoutfit Project

Behold, the #Litoutfit project. My quest to make book recommendations matched with visually interesting outfits. I got the idea for this project when I was scanning through all those outfit postings on Pinterest. I thought, everyone loves clothes, why not clothes matched with books? Why not visual book recommendations?

So, I've matched up Middle Grade and a couple YA books I've enjoyed with an outfit that says something about the plot, or has to do with the main character. And a project was born. For example, my outfit for FRIDAY BARNES is the outfit the protagonist detective, Friday is described as wearing everyday throughout the book.
Friday Barnes by R.A. Spratt


My outfit for RED BUTTERFLY however, was more focused on the setting, as most of RED BUTTERFLY is set in China, detailing the hopes an American mother trying to adopt the Chinese daughter she rescued as a baby. And how her daughter navigates the tricky and emotionally charged journey of adoption.
Red Butterfly by A.L. Sonnichsen

Some others are perhaps outfits inspired by the obsessions of the characters, such as in the photo for WARP SPEED by Lisa Yee. I decked out most of my Star Trek gear and Next Generation action figures to replicate Marley's obsession with all things Star Trek, (although to note, he was an Original Series kind of guy.) Also, I have already worn this outfit in real life.

Warp Speed by Lisa Yee


And that led to others....

Wild Swans by Jessica Spotswood

Everything on a Waffle by Polly Horvath

The Sleepover by Jen Malone


I post out a picture once a week, on Instagram, Twitter under the hashtag #litoutfit, a Pinterest boardlabeled #Litoutfit, and Facebook. Feel free to stop by one of those social media venues for a visual book suggestion once a week. As an artist, visual learner and former art teacher, this is my way of trying to share all the awesome books waiting to be read.  

2 comments:

  1. I love this! It would make a great project in classrooms. Are you sharing this with the kids you work with in the library?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really something that I created to get involved in the online conversation about books. I haven't really had the opportunity to bring it up to any of my patrons, but we'll see if anything comes up in the future. In the meantime, I'm hoping it will give me a voice online.

    ReplyDelete