Sunday, January 20, 2013

A Little Princess... Flash back to the Past.

Many of you know I'm just a little bit obsessed with Princess Leia. Today, I'd like to talk about a different princess... Sara Crewe. I'm a little bit ashamed to admit that despite owning this book for several years as a child, I never got around to reading it. So today, while doing a shelving project, I ran into a condensed version of A Little Princess, with full page illustrations. Flipping through the story, I suddenly wondered why I'd never taken the time to read about this child who refused to give up her spirit and power of imagination even in the most dire circumstances.

I ended up spending my entire lunch break and several hours at home, reading through the original version of Frances Hodgson Burnett's classic. Unfortunately, I think there's a readiness to dismiss classic books, because they may not be relevant to today's readers. I was surprised how easy of a read A Little Princess turned out to be, and how many timeless philosophies Sara Crewe mentions as the story goes on.

This would be a great book for any girls who love to tell stories, or who believe that anyone can be a princess. Sara Crewe's life starts out like royalty. Her father brings her from India to London where, "Yellow fog hung thick." They are bound for a Seminary where Sara is to be boarded. Her father spares no expense when it comes to his daughter. He buys her delicate porcelain dolls, lace petticoats and velvet frocks. Pegging Sara as her cash cow, the headmistress upholds Sara as her star pupil until disaster strikes. Word comes that Sara's father has died, and Sara is now penniless. Can Sara still believe in life as a princess, when everything else has come crashing down around her?

It just goes to show. It never pays to count a book out just because it's old. So my question for this week is, What classic book can you not forget?

4 comments:

  1. The Count of Monte Cristo! Holy cow, not only is it a classic, but it's super long. When I picked it up I thought, "You've got to be kidding me. Did George RR Martin write this?"

    No, he did not. I'd always discounted this book because it's old and I thought sort of stuffy, but that's not the case. Love it. LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading another classic made me think about how there's a reason that some classics are still around... they say things that are true in any time period.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this story so much -- I felt so sorry for poor little Sara and I sobbed when they were reunited. And absolutely -- that's true about the universality of story. Tapping into the collective consciousness is critical. And I adore The Count of Monte Christo, too. Maybe that's why I'm enjoying REVENGE so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to read more classics because I can't think of any to answer your question... haha.

    ReplyDelete