Sunday, December 2, 2012

Holiday Gift Guide: Options for Readers Who Loved the Bestsellers

It's holiday time. Hate it or love it, it's busy and it's time to circle the Target parking lot fifty times until you find a parking spot. Before I curse my dislike of shipping fees again, I think it's time to focus on the almighty question of, "What do I get for people.?" I work in a library, and I write, so I have this twitch that tends to lean towards book presents for pretty much everyone on my list. But what to do about those readers who got stuck on the best sellers and don't read anything else? I've come up with a list of popular best sellers, and a different book that would appeal to that readers as well. Hope it's helpful!

For Those Who Liked Diary of a Wimpy Kid, by Jeff Kinney... If they can't get enough of Greg's antics and the diary format, try Mary Amato's Please Write in This Book. A teacher hides a journal in the classroom writing center with the heading, "Please Write in This Book." The journal takes on a life of its own as the students write notes back and forth. I had a young, Wimpy-Kid-Lover, at my branch. I gave him this book to take home as a substitute. He liked it so much, his dad emailed to see if I had any other suggestions.

For Those Who Liked Rick Riordan's books.... Mythology is back. I love it. But Rick Riordan isn't the only one tangoing with ancient plots and gods. Sarwatt Chada, a relatively new author on the scene is employing Indian mythology and character in an action packed tale. The Savage Fortress, just came out in the US this fall.

For Those Who Liked Harry Potter.... Harry Potter is tough to top. But if I was looking for a enveloping magic culture, I might go for, The Akehenaten Adventure by P.B. Kerr from the Children of The Lamp Series. This book centers around two twins Phillipa and John from New York City, who discover that they're djinn with all the powers and limitations there of. This is just the beginning of their adventure... their new identity takes them to Egypt, land of the Pharoahs.

For Those Who Like Star Wars... You have two options here. You could go with the great Darth Vader and Son by Jeffery Brown, which I've already reviewed, here. Also great is crazy in depth, Character Encyclopedia. Greedo has a backstory? Awesome.

For Those Who Liked Ivy & Bean by Ann Barrows... There are several great options for Ivy & Bean lovers. Clementine and Lucy Rose, are just a few. But the one I've heard mentioned the most is Just Grace by Charise Myracle Harper. Sweet and thoughtful, just like Ivy & Bean.

And there you have it. Gift suggestions for December Madness. Anyone else have suggested substitutes for Best Sellers? 

3 comments:

  1. My son is hard to buy books for. He tends to stick with the best sellers, too. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community.
    Your web site provided us with valuable information to work on.
    You have done an impressive job and our entire community will be thankful to you.
    Look into my blog :: learn writing fast

    ReplyDelete