Sunday, October 14, 2012

The Bucket List Character Exercise

I just finished reading Alvin Ho: Allergic to Dead Bodies, Funerals and Other Fatal Circumstances, by Lenore Look. I'm new to the Alvin Ho series, and I have to say, it's hilarious. Definitely going on my list of funny books to suggest to the kids at the library. That has nothing to do with this post though.

The point is, that during the story, Alvin Ho is encouraged to make a Bucket List by his grandfather, a list of things he wants to do before he dies. It made me thing that this is a pretty good character exercise in general for characters as well. So, I've made a character list for Tim, my evil villain-in-training.

Tim's Evil Spring Loaded Metal Pail List
(Or Things To Do Before he is captured by Amaz-o-man, or his father kills him, whichever comes first.)

  1. Get through Dr. Stitchworth's class just once, without losing, misplacing or otherwise destroying my Science Project.
  2. Find out where those abandoned Mine Shafts underneath Father's Lair actually lead.
  3. Successfully complete an evil plot.
  4. Successful escape capture after an evil plot.
  5. Find my lost dissection project, once and for all.
  6. Find a medication which prevents fur allergies... that actually works.
  7. Find out if Master Viper's silver eye really is a cog, or just an iris.
So, what would some of the items from your character's bucket list look like?


5 comments:

  1. Oh, nice. I love this idea. My character's bucket list would just not be that appetizing since she has some gross problems, so I won't share that here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're killing me. Master Viper? Fur allergies? Mine Shafts? Do you understand how badly I want to read this book!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to remember this book for my kids. They are so picky!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great exercise for our characters. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gross problems, Rena? I'm intrigued. Thanks for encouragement, Libby! Just trying to make it the best that I can before it goes out to beta readers... it still has some problems. (and when I get my critique @ the SCBWI conference, I bet I will uncover even more problems to fix. Glad that Alvin Ho has picqued your interest Elizabeth, it's a great book!

    ReplyDelete