Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Drama.... The Full Experience

You may have guessed by now that I'm not the dramatic type. There were several episodes where I tried out for dramatic productions. Most memorably being the Bye, Bye Birdie tryout where I flung my shoe into the audience during the dance audition. Later in high school, I tried out for a love story with a bubbly side character... maybe I overdid the bubbly part a bit in auditions? I was however able to secure a part as a Chinese girl who marched in during the first song. (I don't think they originally envisioned a blond for this part, but I gave it my best shot.)

Either way, I could completely relate to Raina Telgemeier's latest graphic novel, Drama. Inside, Telgemeier chronicles the drama related escapades of purple-haired drama club member, Callie. Callie is a ambitious set designer, aiming for a fully functional cannon for their finished production of Moon Over Mississippi. And the drama isn't all on the stage. Actors and actresses are creating a scene out of the spotlight as well. Callie's just getting over rejection from an eighth grader and there's a pair of cute brothers that Callie might just be falling for. The stage is set.

From Callie's ambitious set plans to her budding friendship with a pair of twins, this book really reminded me of the crazed Drama Club I remember from school. Liz's escapades down into the costume vault, the last minute changes that have to be made on stage to save the show. It really illustrated that Drama Club isn't only for the actors. I'd full heartedly recommend this for any patrons or readers who enjoy their creative side on and off stage.

2 comments:

  1. I'm also a no drama kind of girl. I'm so stable, I'm inert.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it takes all kinds to make a play, right?

    ReplyDelete