Monday, September 17, 2012

Genre Favorites Blogfest....

It's time for Ninja Captain Alex's Genre Favorites Blogfest. How can I resist a blogfest hosted by a ninja? If you have time, consider popping over to his blog to see the other entrants. And as far as my favorites go...


Movie-  I like anything funny. I should clarify and mention that I'm not interested in toilet humor stuff. I had a very bad experience when Scary Movie came out, involving my dad, my pastor and my entire youth group. It put me off those type of movies for life. Funny movies that you can watch in front of your parents though, I'm all for those. The Whole Nine Yards is probably my most favorite movie of all time. The characters are hilarious and the dialogue is great.  A known hitman moves in next door to a miserable dentist. His evil wife makes him report the hitman's whereabouts to a gang back in Chicago. The dentist has no intention of doing this, but is surprised when the gang finds him.

Music- Here comes my guilty pleasure. I listen to.... pop music. I know. It's horrible. But I can't help it. I use music to zone out when I'm running, sifting through plot problems for my novels or driving around in the car. You can't beat Lady Gaga for that.

Books- I'm a bit of a fantasy nut. Particularly Children's Middle Grade Fantasy. (Hence the focus of this blog.) Generally, anything with ghosts, portals into another world and magic tends to tickle my fancy. I love anything by Neil Gaiman, (think Coraline, The Graveyard Book and Neverwhere,) Ingrid Law, Diana Wynne Jones, and Patricia Wrede. Another fantasy author that rarely gets any credit is Eva Ibbotson. She was the author of the hilarious ghost caper, Dial-a-Ghost. It's a tongue in cheek type of book, with an agency that places ghosts in apt homes. However, all the fun starts when the agency messes up the placement of two very different ghosts. Laugh out loud hilarious.

Well, that's it. Now hit the wire and find out about other people's favorites. I've got a bus to catch for the new job. Next post will be about the my last children's program at my old branch, an author visit with Marc Tyler Nobleman, who wrote about the secret co-creator of Batman. Awesome stuff.

11 comments:

  1. My guilty pleasure is pop as well. I just can't help myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like funny movies too, but not the spoof ones either. I can't imaging how funny that experience you had was. I hope you can laugh about it now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will have to watch "Whole Nine Yards". I don't think I've seen it. And I like pop music too. I should like classical, but I like words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. whole nine yards... love it... my favorite scene when oz is getting a beer from jimmy and it goes right off the edge of the boat... i still laugh.

    Jeremy [Retro-Zombie]
    Howlin' Wolf Records: On-Line Magazine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love middle grade fantasy! But Lady Gaga? She should be in the horror genre! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing wrong with a good fantasy!
    Thanks for participating in my blogfest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Neil Gaiman and Diana Wynne Jones are two of my favorite authors. I've loved all of the books I read by either writer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, jess,

    Dropping in for the blogfest. Nice to meet you.

    I LOVE m/g fantasy. My first novel is an m/g fantasy.

    Don't stress the POP music it is great for working out the mind and body. Sometimes you just need to BOP!

    I've never seen THE WHOLE NINE YARDS.... I must check it out.

    I must check out Eva's books too. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pop, eh? I suppose that is the most popular genre of music among women. They play a lot of it here but I am more inclined to something a little snappier, like rock or some good jazz.

    Comedies, especially action oriented are fun. I am wondering what the toilet humor movie was now. Following your blog now. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do love comedy! Dial-A-Ghost sounds good; I think my son would really enjoy that (which means I get to enjoy it by reading with him).

    My Genre Favorites & Guilty Pleasures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Fatemi and his staff are part of a trusted Gaithersburg tradition of dental care and excellence. They practice family dentistry, as well as emergency and dentist in gaithersburg

      Delete