Monday, August 20, 2012

Welcoming The Third Origami Yoda book @ The Library

It never ceases to amaze me how much Star Wars can bring people together. We had an awesome turnout at the library for the Celebration of The Release of The Secret of The Fortune Wookie by Tom Angleberger. Forty people showed up to fold fortune wookies, get temporary tattoos, watch the Star Wars: Clone Wars movie, enjoy a bit of star wars trivia and snack on themed treats.

I was really diligent with the trivia, thinking that if I didn't find really obscure quotes and characters, the kids would get bored. After all, these are the diehard fans, right? I even learned that George Lucas tried to tone down Princess Leia's femininity for a New Hope, by applying electrical tape across her entire chest. And here I thought Chewbacca's costume was the most uncomfortable.

But I digress. As it turned out, the kids weren't big on the older characters and had a tough time with a yoda quote... but maybe the diehard fans showed up later. I was even more surprised when the kids thought that I was supposed to be dressed up like Leia, (who I have been before but decided against for this event.) Any guesses?


Yup, that's right. I dressed up as Padme. And yes, that is a barcode scanner in my hand. If only Padme could have been so well equip. I took a quiz earlier that day, "What Star Wars Character are you?" And this was the result. A couple of the other kids took it too, and we ended up with a Qui-Gon Jin...


and a Han Foldo....err... Han Solo. Even some of the staff got into the spirit.

But the event itself was a lot of fun.



The thing I liked best about the event, was that after we folded the Fortune Wookies, some of the kids started taking liberties. During the movie, a couple of them curled up at the table with a copy of the Star Wars Character Encyclopedia and proceeded to fold fortune tellers of different characters. Can you guess who these characters are?

Talk about awesome creativity. This is what I love about library programs. Some people may argue that we're just having a party. But it's more than that. We're celebrating a time honored story with characters that have spanned the decades. They have timeless qualities like Leia's quick thinking, Luke's bravery, Yoda's wisdom. And these traits live on, long after the story has ended.

And that's what I love about stories. They have the ability to live on long after the words have ended.

So I'll leave you with this artistic creation by one of the younger kids who got into the eye stickers. Her mother tried to convince her that Darth Vadar was a fairy, if only to get her in a costume for the event. You can see who won that debate. But if you look close at the picture... it almost looks like a Sarlacc pit.

2 comments:

  1. I love school parties!! I think they are not only educational, they make kids more comfortable with school and make learning a natural, fun process. What lucky kids to have a cool teacher like you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like a great success. I love the library events. Brings the child out in all of us.

    ReplyDelete