Sunday, August 5, 2012

Weddings and Pacing....

That's right. I know you didn't think I could do it, but I did. I found a way to link writing with my wedding. And it comes down to pacing. Every good story is mindful of its pacing. It pulls you back from the action at just the right moment, to contemplate the fate of the characters. Or, reaching the final confrontation between the protagonist and the antagonist, things speed up to a faster pace to build the excitement.

I thought about this on my wedding day in between those thoughts about will I fall flat on my face coming down the aisle and is this the right shade of lipstick to wear, (right after wondering why this shade of lipstick looks better on my bridesman.) We've all heard it a million times.

Your wedding day will fly by. You'll hardly know where the time has gone.

I, like all seasoned brides-to-be scoffed at this information and insisted that my wedding would be different than the millions that have come before it. I'm sure you know what's coming next.

I was wrong.

It doesn't happen often, but occasionally, there are times I'm incorrect. (Don't go spreading this around the library.) The wedding day flew at an intense pace, perhaps just because the sheer number of people that the bridal couple talk to during the day. And the number of set activities, i.e

the vows...



















the cake cutting...



















the first dance...



















the broom dance., Slovak tradition...



And after having experienced the wedding day, I have determined that they have terrible pacing. Sure it's a bit chill in the first couple hours when you're getting ready, but then it's time for pictures, vows, dances, dinner, and cake. And in the end, you can't really even remember which order they came in. As a result, I don't really remember much from the day. And this is the thing about bad pacing. If you rush through your story and don't let the reader connect with the character or the setting, you're going to end up with a story that doesn't resonate with your reader. Learn from my wedding day, and slow down your story.

What are other days you think have bad pacing? What ways have you found to fix bad pacing?

4 comments:

  1. Any day with an exam or a public speech has terrible pacing.

    As for fixing the bad pacing? I have no ideas.

    (You look fantastic in that dress!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Rena. Studying for an exam makes the pacing of the day (night) way too slow.

    And how beautiful are you!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the best wedding cake EVER!!!!!! Once again, sorry I couldn't be there. Damn freak storms! My wedding day flew by too. Maybe it's also all the anticipation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful wedding! Perfect connection! And sadly, I barely remember my wedding day either.

    ReplyDelete