Sunday, May 6, 2012

Surviving The Writing Dry Spell....

No one said a dry spell was pretty
 Today I'm posting about dry spells. Artificially or naturally induced, this is one of those moments when your mind goes blank. A time when, trying to conjure up a story, article, or just a random assortment of words, the only thing that comes to mind is your most recent grocery list.

I'm struggling through a bit of a dry spell right now. (You may have noticed in the last couple of weeks, I've been a bit erratic about my posting.) With wedding planning, the daunting challenge of summer reading on the horizon at the library, and an apartment slowly disappearing under a mass of unwashed clothing, I've been a bit preoccupied. And those mornings before I work my night shifts at the library, the mornings that I swore would be dedicated only to writing? They have slowly been disappearing, stuffed with invitations into envelopes or thrown into the dishwasher with all that non-dishwasher friendly tupperware.

I know what you're about to say. It should take no time at all cut out 150 red favor boxes. And you're right, it didn't. My mother-in-law ended up doing it. But that's not the point. The point is, I'm having a hard time finding time to sit down at the computer, much less focus on writing anything for a period of more than five minutes. I was complaining about this to a friend of mine the other day, about how my writing life is going down the drain and it's driving me nuts. He patiently pointed out to me that a wedding generally only occurs once in a person's lifetime and mine will be ending in a couple of months. So, I'm letting it go. I vow to stop beating myself up and feeling guilty for not writing.

So my question for this week is: How do you survive the dry spell?

3 comments:

  1. I missed you. Go get married all ready and get back to work. You have an obligation to us readers. (bet you thought I'd let you off the hook, huh? well, think again!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with elizabeth.

    But on a serious note, you might want to consider something. You're in such a dry spell in part because you're putting pressure on yourself to do something. You're telling yourself that you have to write. Maybe that time would be better spent trying to relax and regain focus. If you're afraid that you'll be away from something for too long, then instead of trying to write a ton of stuff or even the story itself (I know that when I'm stressed, sometimes my writing is tres sucky), you can always write up background. Have your characters ever been on a date before your book? Maybe they had some weird hobbies. Who are their exes and what happened to those people, how would they react if they ran into their third grade teacher at the grocery store?

    I think you can see where I'm coming from. If you put too much pressure on yourself to perform when you're already stressed to perform, then sometimes the answer is to let up. Maybe what you need now is to let some things go for a little while. You can come back. You can take a vacation from writing, and come back when you're in a place to focus...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if it's even possible to write and wedding plan. You're good for trying.

    ReplyDelete