Sunday, April 1, 2012

Just Some Silliness... and a Six Word Memoir

 A long time ago, Elizabeth Seckman over at Use Your Words tagged me on the 11 Questions meme. I never got around to answering the questions. I've already tagged a bunch of people in another post, so I'm going to just answer and leave it at that.


1. Favorite Christmas present? :) This year, my sister got me a silver business card holder with my initials engraved and the words, "The Pen is mightier than the sword." Yep, I'm lucky to have such a awesome sis to cheer me on to my writing dream.

2.
Cat person or dog person? Hmm... I've always wanted a dog... but I had cats growing up, including a siamese who allegedly taught me to walk. So I guess I can't turn my back on the cats.


3.
What's your biggest pet peeve? Bullies. I hated them when I was a kid, and can't stand when I hear the kids at the library have been having any problems.


4.
If you could hire only one...would it be a driver, cook, or house keeper? I love cooking, and hate housework. So that's an easy answer. Plus, with a full time job, writing novels, blogging and the occasional game of ping pong with the fiance, I don't find much time to clean. That's right... there are dirty dishes on the counter right now and papers all over the dining room table and I don't care.


5.
Date with a celebrity...who would you pick?  Hmm... James McAvoy? He was awesome in the movie, Penelope. But this would only be if my fiance was incapacitated in some fashion.  Sorry James McAvoy, you'll just have to wait. 


6.
Favorite drink? Tea. I would drink it all day if I could. I stopped drinking the black because it messed up my stomach, but there are some pretty awesome green and white teas out there.


7.
Favorite holiday and why? 

I love Thanksgiving. Family gets together and just enjoys a bunch of good food. And it reminds you to be happy with what you have. What's not to like about that?

8.
Scariest moment in life? Turning in my letter of resignation to my teaching job to move across the country with my boyfriend... without a job waiting for me when I got there.


9.
Kindle or paper book? I love the experience of the paper book, but for trips, I love piling 20 books on a kindle and just fitting that in my bag.


10.
If you could only get one tv channel for the rest of your life, what would it be? Probably PBS. I have to get my weekly dose of Poirot. 


11.
If you could have only one...which would you pick...perfect weight for the rest of your life or 1 book on the best seller list? Bestseller is just too sparkly... I'm going to have to go with that.



Big thanks to Sara at Cutest Landing for awarding me with the Liebster Award. This is an award to help bloggers gather some new readers... thanks for the encouragement, Sara! 



Since I'm on the subject of biography, I think this is a good time to mention, the six word memoir. I went to a SCBWI conference in Maryland this weekend. Esther Hershenhorn gave a talk on "Getting Your Stories Right", and she brought up the six word memoir as a way of knowing yourself better as a writer. I found it a pretty intriguing challenge, so I've come up with my own six word memoir:

Real truth is beneath the laugh.

 There's more information and ideas here at NPR and here's what Esther Hershenhorn has to say about it.  What's your six word memoir? 


4 comments:

  1. I love my Nook for travel too! Sometimes I feel like I'm cheating on 'real books' but I'm not. The ebooks are just more convenient for some things.

    I think the 'real books' understand... :)

    Congrats on the award!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great answers Jess. I find it hard to choose between dogs and cats too. I love them both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice. I have both dogs and cats, but I really enjoy my kitties.

    Six word memoir:

    My lies are thinly veiled truths.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol, I never thought about ebooks that way, Kelley. Now I'm going to imagine the looks that my bookshelves are giving me as I walk out the door to the airport.

    Do you have both dogs and cats, Elizabeth?

    That's an interesting six word memoir, Rena. I'll have to do some thinking about that one.

    ReplyDelete