Sunday, March 25, 2012

Pi Day... The Library Isn't Just For Fiction...

A Pi Bracelet
      There are certain nonfiction sections in our library, that if I were to go and hide a candy bar in the shelf, I am virtual certain that it would lay there undisturbed for an undetermined amount of time. I am convinced this is what happened to the librarian action figure that used to be on my desk. Somewhere that librarian is using her shhing action among the spines.

     But I digress. My point is that sometimes the nonfiction section doesn't get its props in the library. The kids use the books for reports and we do have the dinosaur enthusiasts... but what about in general just for the fun of reading? This month, we tried to highlight a section that doesn't often get a second glance... the Math section. That's right, we celebrated 3-14 ... Pi Day.

        If you're not a card carrying nerd such as myself, you may not know about this holiday. But let me assure you, it is real and was even recognized by Congress in 2009. Pi Day, gave us the opportunity to utilize a little- known fun Math series about Sir Cumference, by Cindy Neuschwander.  We used Sir Cumference and The Dragon of Pi to rouse the spirit of Pi Day. It's a tale of a king who turns into dragon mistakenly. Only the magic number that is the circumference of a circle divided by the diameter can save him now. His son must find the magic number to give his father the right amount of magic potion before the dragon-slaying knights reach him.

         At the end of the story, we measured some circles to find pi ourselves. After we'd found it, they made bracelets with numbered beads, listing the unending number of pi. And of course, we ended the day, with another type of pie...

Must... Get... Pie... Open!


8 comments:

  1. This is a great post. I admire librarians, and I enjoy reading your posts. Thanks for sharing.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I'll head on over and check out your blog.

      Delete
  2. I can't wait for pi day in 2015. That should be extra nerdy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This math phobe doesn't get that, but I am still keeping my nerd card cause I know the difference between Picard and Kirk.

      Delete
    2. The nerd community is divided between two groups... those who side with Picard and those who side with Kirk. I'm going to stake my claim in Picard right now.

      Delete
  3. I must o-pi-ne...horrible pun, but I couldn't resist. I hate math. I loathe math. I checked my 6th graders math and he got a C. I changed all his right answers to wrong. But I love all the non-fictions that are not math.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm allergic to Math, but I could get behind "Pie Day" especially if it is pecan :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alot of people only celebrate Pi Day by eating pie at 1:59 pm. So there's something for everyone.

    ReplyDelete