Friday, February 10, 2012

Last Day of The Character Blogfest


   Well, it's the last day of The Character Blogfest, and I have to say this has been a lot of fun. Some of the comments have jump started ideas in my head about how to go further with my WIP. A five step program to becoming evil? Oh the possibilities... A big thanks to Cassie Mae and Angela for starting this up, I've really gotten a lot out of it. Don't hesitate to head over and check out all the interesting participants. There's a full list here.  So without further ado, here is the last piece of the puzzle, a look at Tim's life at school. 

*********************************************************************

Master Viper slammed his drawer open with such force that it sent an inkwell flying off his desk. His chalk spider scurried out of the drawer and onto the chalkboard, its metal legs clicking. Tiny gears twisted, lowering the chalk.
Master Viper’s silver eye rotated slowly towards the class. A smile blossomed on his lips.
Tim’s mouth went dry.
“List the Hierarchy of Villains... in order of rank.” The Chalk Spider drew boxes furiously, chalk dust falling to the floor like snow. Master Viper’s iron gaze settled on the first desk. “Start with the top,” he said.
Tim tried desperately to swallow. His row. Master Viper was going down his row. There were four desks in front of him. How many levels were in the hierarchy? Tim’s eyes darted to the board. Five boxes were linked with arrows. The Chalk Spider was filling in the top box. Villains with Titles, it wrote in neat cursive. 
Master Viper’s hand slammed onto the next desk. “Answer!”
“Henchman,” said the student. 
He was getting closer. Tim squeezed his hands on his head. What was the fifth level?
Villains without titles.”
Automaton Servants.
Master Viper’s palm slammed onto Tim’s desk. “What is the last level?” He hissed. 
Tim’s mouth struggled to shape words. “Superheroes?”
Master Viper’s mouth drew back into a sneer. “Superheroes have no place on the hierarchy... they are below it.” He leaned down so Tim could see the individual blades twist in his eye. “See me after class.”

24 comments:

  1. Intense with emotion. Anxiety drifted from the scene. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw poor wee Tim - and yet he's going to be superb, I can sense it. A great job - keep it going xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy creeper factor, Batman! Mr. Viper is wonderfully devious in appearance and the Chalk Spider is a nice touch. Thanks for sharing this. Looks to be an interesting world you're writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for superhero references! Congrats on winning Day 3 of the blogfest, that was a great post.

      Delete
  4. I'm worried about what happens in that school if you get and answer wrong. Fantastic writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo, poor Tim. I like superheros. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man, I want to read the rest of this. It sounds fantastic. Good job with the classroom anxiety, by the way. Love this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved the chalk dust falling like snow...excellent imagery. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jess--this is SOOOO cool! I think I had a panic attack!!! I LOVED it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I would spit in a teachers face if they intimidated me like that. But I'm obsessed with loogies, it's my go-to defense mechanism, lol.

    this was so awesome! And I was so there with your characters. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, loogies? I would say that's awesome... but I used to be a teacher, so I'm going to refrain from that.

      Delete
  10. Ooh this is really cool!!! LOVED it!!!
    Following along :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jess! Excited to see what you come up with.

      Delete
  11. This made me think of Harry Potter and his friends sitting scared-and-stiff in their classrooms during their first year at Hogwarts for some reason. The same anxiety was there. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Eek! This was great. I still love the premise, and I liked all of the details (like the blades in his eyes). Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wanted you to know you are in my top 10 for this challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, that was great! Is there more?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I actually have the first draft completed.... on to editing...

      Delete
  15. OOh, this is really scary - took me right back to when I was a child, terrified of a certain teacher - but he didn't have blades in his eyes, thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome! I'm glad I'm not in that class.

    ReplyDelete