Thursday, February 16, 2012

Coupon Organizers.... And Outlines...Oh My

I display the product.
I have a shaky history with coupon organizers. I've never liked coupons. They get lost in crumples at the bottom of my purse, or I remember right as I step up to the register to pay that they are in the car. So the other day when I saw a coupon organizer at the store, my first instinct was to run screaming in the other direction. But then I noticed that this lime green coupon organizer was the perfect size to store index cards.

 So what? You might say. Why would that make any difference? After all, anything connected with coupons must be inherently evil. But if you happen to know that I write scenes, characters, and various plot/theme ideas on random index cards, this starts to make a lot more sense.

   In the past, I've just rubber banded those suckers together into one pack. But then, my theme ideas are jumbled up between my random scene cards. My antagonist cards are dog-eared, gathering lint at the bottom of my bag. And don't even get me started on my subplots.

And that is why my eyes suddenly lit up when I spied that coupon organizer. The rubber band fell by the wayside and I was finished with scattered scenes. I now have tab organizers for my index cards. It's perfect. They fit in a purse, and you can customize the tabs to your outlining needs. Pesky subplot issues? Make a tab. Unruly characters? Make a tab. For my organizer, I made tabs for Blank Cards, Scenes, Characters, Random Theme Ideas, Settings and Pesky Subplots.
Don't Forget The Pesky Subplots!
You too can use the Coupon Organizer method to keep your scatterbrained thoughts at bay. Simply follow these steps:

1. Find least repulsive coupon organizer possible at the store. If possible, steer clear of vomit inducing shades of pink, (unless you like that sort of thing or happen to be writing a romance novel.)

2. Label tabs with handy stickers included in said coupon organizer. Don't forget a tab for blank cards, so you can keep extra cards handy for ideas that hit you on the go.

3. Write your index cards... for scene cards, I find it helpful to write the order that they come in... in pencil. This way if I change my mind... I can erase the number and move the scene.

When you're done, you too will have a handy Coupon Organizer Outline. You too will be able to pull out your scenes in the staff lunchroom or while traveling on the metro. And if people say, "hey, why are you piling index cards all over the seats?"

You can reply very calmly, "Don't worry... I'm a professional writer, and this is my Coupon Organizer Outline... and I don't get off till Dupont Circle." 

11 comments:

  1. Great idea. Right now I keep my note cards in a folder and it works all right till you pick it up wrong and they all fall out.
    PS I have 4 boys, one who is headed to college next year, so I have overcome my fear of coupons and the hideous organizer...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I salute you. I'm still working out the coupon thing. It seems like the coupons all congregate where I am not. Thus the problem.

      Delete
  2. That's a fantastic idea. I'm simply not organized enough for that, and watch in envy of those people who can make that sort of thing work for them. It looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes... we'll see how it works out... I've only had it for a couple of weeks or so... but it's nice not having dog earred cards.

      Delete
  3. I did this, along time ago...but I was too unorganized to keep up with a coupon organizer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol it's not your style anyways.... your creativity can't be contained by organization!

      Delete
  4. This is so cool! My mind is my lime green organizer.

    You might want to turn off the word verification on your blog. For some reason it's giving me two weird words to type. It might keep people from commenting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah that's blogger's new thing..I noticed it this morning when I went to comment on some blogs... I'll have to see if I can take care of that...haven't found it yet in the settings.

      Delete
  5. I do believe you just saved my sanity.

    HUGE thank you!!!!!

    Happy Weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your organization is fabulous! Being organized saves time and energy (not to mention money). We use a coupon organizer. I'd be lost at the store without it!
    Thanks for sharing your ideas. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for hopping over to my blog - and good luck w/your organization - and your writing!

    ReplyDelete