Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Character Blogfest, Day 2: A Dialogue Between Two Characters


I apologize for the delay in posting Day 1 of the Character Blogfest... I messed up on scheduling the post. Either way, today we’re moving on to Day 2, an introduction between two characters using only dialogue and in 250 words. For this purpose, I have recovered a tape recording from the basement files of The Grimwood Academy For The Training of Villains.
<<< Recording Begins >>>
Night Terror: Well, I don’t see the point. Why do they need to know about us?
Agatha: But dear, it’s for the admission papers. They need to make sure we’re proper villains. Don’t you want what’s best for our son?
Night Terror: No.
Agatha: I think they’ll want to know he came from a good family. Why my father, the mad scientist....
Night Terror: Forget your father. Your side of the family is nothing but trouble.
Agatha: Oh, not that much dear, not the diabolical kind anyways.  
Night Terror: Agatha, he spoiled you horribly! And then, you went and named our son after a can of common scouring powder...a cleaning product! My heir could be mistaken for polishing bits.
Agatha: Tim... such a lovely name.
Night Terror: And that’s the problem. He has no backbone. But I imagine Grimwood Academy will want to know more about my career. I successfully completed seventeen jewel heists and once captured Amaz-o-man with a clockwork spider for a full fifteen minutes.
Agatha: You are accomplished, dear. 
Night Terror: Yes, well it’s my duty to set a devious example for the villain community. And you’ve contributed a bit, since you run the household while I’m away.
Agatha: Well, I find the household has a way of taking care of itself. That’s the beauty of modern villain conveniences, automaton servants and such. Why, I almost don’t have to do anything. 
Night Terror: Either way, Grimwood Academy will turn Tim into a proper villain.
<<< Recording Ends >>>

25 comments:

  1. Agatha and Night Terror are quite interesting characters. He seems noisy and stubborn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how they are going to villain school. Like they need to get more evil. Great dialogue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet - I am enjoying the banter. It must be galling for someone named Night Terror to have a child named Tim :o) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. The name Night Terror alone makes me want to know more! Love the dialogue between these two!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how NT credits Agatha for keeping the house clean while he's off being evil. I like your writing style.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked that. the last line put a smile on my face :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was so well done. Very entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love how you worked it into the story, and gave us background for Tim's name

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, so do you think it's okay that his name isn't very steampunkish? Because you'll be disagreeing with half our writer's group on that. But Nimrod, Everett and Basil just weren't pathetic enough. Also, they aren't a reference to Monty Python either.

      Delete
  9. I'd love to find out what it takes to become a "proper" villain. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point... maybe I should write a five step program to becoming evil... that way it will be clear to readers...

      Delete
  10. Oh, it's like Sky High, only opposite with villains instead. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ironically, I still need to watch Sky High... but perhaps since you recommend it I should watch it. I think villains are like nerds though, they don't get enough screen time :)

      Delete
  11. Jess--You totally sucked me in! I LOVED it!!! Fabulous job :) And I love the premise.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really enjoyed this. I chortled as soon as I caught on. Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chortled.... that is such a fun word. I really need to use it in some writerly capacity.

      Delete
  13. love these parents! and NT cant be all bad if he married Agatha. she sounds sane, but maybe she is covering =)
    great piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I like it. The man is of course defined by the quality of a wife he takes :)

      Delete
  14. Well done! I giggled when NT said his son's name could be mistaken for polishing bits - and it's Tim - which made me think of Tim bits, donut holes sold by Tim Horton's donuts in Canada. Ok, that's not funny now that I write it but I laughed anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have experienced the gloriousness that is Tim Horton's. So maybe it was an unconscious connection? I vaguely remember them selling doughnut holes.

      Delete
  15. LOL. "Tim...such a lovely name!"
    I love this humor! Great dialogue!

    ReplyDelete
  16. REALLY loved this. Wow! Great job.

    *New Follower!* So nice to *meet* you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wanted you to know, you are in my top 10 for this challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks! I'm getting such a fun ego boost from all these nice comments... it really makes me fired up to go back and edit!

      Delete
  18. This is so funny! I love the premise & the quirks.

    ReplyDelete