Thursday, February 23, 2012

Book Suggestion: Cinder: A Cinderella with Guts

 There are only three words I really need to say about Cinder by Marissa Meyer.  Three C's...Cyborg... Cinderella... China. These three words spell out what makes Melissa Meyer's book so amazing. It's a re-imagining of Cinderella as an an ill-fated cyborg, adoptive daughter to a Chinese family. The Scientist father who adopted Cinder is long dead, and her stepmother doesn't take kindly to her presence. Cyborgs are of course, second class citizens in this futuristic version of China, considered only partially human.

One of Cinder's stepsisters is sympathetic to her plight, someone that Cinder can at least talk to. The worst happens when Cinder's stepsister contracts the debilitating plague that's been sweeping across the country. Cinder's stepmother volunteers her for plague research. After all, she is cyborg and she owes her life to Science anyways, right? The story takes surprising twists and turns as the reader discovers the truth behind Cinder's past.

This book was an emotional roller coaster. I loved how much I hated the stepmother, loved the prince and admired Cinder. Meyer envelopes us in the futuristic setting from page one, describing the rust that flakes off of Cinder's joints as she changes her foot. Starting with this scene not only gave me an idea of how strong a character Cinder is (seriously, I can't even dig a paper cut out of my finger without wincing.) But it gives the reader a great connection to a historical Chinese practice, foot binding as a Cinder tries to replace her foot with a larger foot... one that actually fits. The ending left me a bit frustrating since it leaves us hanging, but I'll feel better satisfied once I have Book 2 in my hands. This is a great book for fans of Graceling and Fire by Kristin Cashore, and a great read for Book Clubs as well. It could spark some thought-provoking conversations about racial divides and prejudice.  Cinder is not a wilting Victorian violet. She doesn't wait at home for her fairy godmother to hand her a dress, she takes fate in both cybernetic hands and chooses her own path.

8 comments:

  1. Ooo, great review. I've heard a lot of good things about this book. Putting it on the TBR list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to put this on my to be read list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am awed by such creativity. My brain just doesn't reach out past reality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard great things about this book! I have to get my hands on it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like an interesting take on an old theme, which has given me an idea for another slant which maybe one day I'll write. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. New follower here! ;) Thanks for the review. I love the book's concept! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for the review, Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete