Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Larklight Trilogy a Great Bout of Steampunk Glory

         Okay, I admit it. I'm caught red-handed... I rarely finish reading a series. It doesn't matter if it's a trilogy, a sequel or one of those cute mystery series with titles that use alliteration. Whatever it is, I rarely finish it. And that, should tell you just how good Phillip Reeve's Larklight Trilogy is. Since I just finished it.

           I'll admit I'm a sucker for anything steampunk. But when you add pirates in space and a variety of alien flora and fauna that only Charles Darwin could have dreamt in his wildest dreams, it's turns this trilogy into something fantastic.

         Art and Myrtle Mumby are average, British citizens living in their modest home in the middle of space. The British empire at this point has of course grown tired of acquiring earthly nations, and has moved onto bigger prospects such as Saturn and Mars. Art and Myrtle are content to practice the piano forte (at least Myrtle is) and practice their studies.

         Their spirits are somewhat dampened when their mother goes missing and turns out to possibly not be human. There's also the matter of having to traipse across the various civilizations in the solar system to reach her. And there's a vicious spider with a bowler cap threatening all the china in the living room. What's a good Brit to do in such times? The only choice is to solider on, and go to rescue mother. Although according to Myrtle, such adventures would be very improper to speak of.

     The series continues with more adventures in Starcross, the second book. The Mumby Family is faced with a number of "curious" top hats that have strange plans for the universe. I think I enjoyed this book the most out of the series, for its crazy characters. For example, the thrells are a race with one goal: to knit an impenetrable cozy for their planet.

   Mothstorm followed up with an enjoyable ending full of Christmas with Queen Victoria and a planet of mermaids. Really all of the books were strong and interesting adventures. David Wyatt's illustrations really added flavor to the entire series. Whether you like steampunk, or have a patron who can't get enough of pirates, this is a series full of good old fashioned British adventures with a dash of space piracy thrown in.

4 comments:

  1. I have never heard of that, but it does sound pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Phillip Reeve wrote some adult and YA books as well, but I loved the crazy characters in this middle grade series. It had me at steampunk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds awesome. I love a good middle grade read! And how can you not finish a series? Crazy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) I guess I'm just one of those easily distracted readers. I work in the Children's Section at the library, and I get dazzled by the amount of shiny new books there.

    ReplyDelete