Wednesday, December 28, 2011

A Little Writing Advice...

 I know I'm probably on the naughty blog list for not having updated my blog in weeks. Sorry about that! It's amazing how much the holidays sucks all of your writing time away with parties, cooking and shopping.

I came across some great writing advice today on Kristin Cashore's website. She's the author of Graceling and Fire, (think medieval X-men.) It was about the process of writing books and the things you learn when you're knee deep in a draft. I thought it deserved a repost, so  here's the link:

Things I Thought I knew About Writing....

Here's some things I've learned about writing to go along with her post.

* There are two kinds of writers. Some people do rough drafts where they throw everything onto the page and have to cut half of it later. Other writers have only the bare bones in the rough draft and have to add to it later.

* I have no idea which of those two I am.

* I enjoy writing, but sometimes it's just very frustrating trying to get the scene just write... until the lightbulb goes on and then the world is grand and I'm excited all over again.

* Sometimes, I just don't know what's going on in the story... and that's okay.

* Revision is like exercising.... I like it once I'm doing it, but getting started is murder.

2 comments:

  1. I love the
    "Sometimes I just dont know what's going on in the story...and that's okay." I feel like I never know whats going on in a story and I need to remind myself thats okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to remind myself several times a day. Of course, when do I ever know what's going on in real life?

    ReplyDelete