Monday, October 17, 2011

Outlining: What Does Your Line Look Like?

 Some interesting conversations came up in my writer's group this week about outlining and synopsis writing. We talked about the dreaded one page synopsis vs. the chapter by chapter synopsis. There was a lot of differing opinions about the best way to outline. So in honor of this discussion, I decided to post a blog post about outlining, so everyone could share their favorite way to outline. I'm going to list some of the ways I've organized my thoughts for writing below. Add on your favorite outline method in the comments.
  - Index cards with chapter headings rubberbanded together at the bottom of my purse
  - scattered scenes jotted onto scrap paper and stuck on my frog magnetic board
  - Webs scribbled on hotel pads
  - Fancy Scrivener Outline with supporting pictures and Character Sketches
  - The Roller Coaster Outline spread across two pages of my journal
  - Plot Spreadsheet to thread together my subplots (Thank you to Cheryl Klien for                    introducing this one to me. Try it out it's helpful!)
                          
 How do you outline?

3 comments:

  1. Bubble outline. Or Newton outline. Its based on the principle of relativity that every action causes an equal or opposite reaction or something. So it puts different actions in bubbles than you draw a line to the reaction of that action, which causes another action which is connected to the first...it makes sense I swear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is strangely logical for you.... should I be worried?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely hate outlining. I like to let the story tell itself, without even knowing the end myself. I feel it's a bit more organic.

    That being said, I do think that I may need to write one out now that I am editing. I'll let you know!

    ReplyDelete