Friday, April 15, 2011

Top Secret: Author Event....

I love author events. There's nothing that gets people excited about reading, like meeting a real live author. And Rachel Wildavsky really got the kids hyped up. By the end of the event, they kept asking her over and over, "but what is the secret of Rover?" The answer is my favorite thing to hear inside or outside of a library, "in order to find that out, you'll just have to read the book."

And wouldn't you know it, after all that was over, I saw kids sprawled all over the Children's Room with their noses stuck in a copy of Wildavsky's book, "The Secret of Rover".

But it's not surprising. Anything that involves government secret projects, kidnapped parents and a nanny with a secret identity is bound to catch the attention of any reader.

I was also excited when the author got into a talk with the kids about plot and characterization. These are of course, things that all Library Staff dream about at night, but kids tend to regard with the same enthusiasm as a plate of creamed spinach.


They started talking about characters, and how they're named; how the names sometimes give you clues about the character. Take for example the name "Trixie", it brings to mind a couple other words. My favorite was when one boy raised his hand and mused that perhaps Harry Potter was hairy.







I have to admit it, I had a lot of fun dressing up and decorating. I was worried becoming a government secret agent with my ear buds for an ear piece would be too over the edge for such sophisticated older kids, but I was wrong. As it turns out, pulling my interview suit out of the back of my closet was worth it.

We also put up some fingerprints bearing the character's names: Katie and David Bowden, nearby classified files.

Here's the author right before the event. She really engaged the kids!








Secret recipe cupcakes, that self destructed about 15 minutes after the program began, into the kids stomachs.

I love these drawings that the kids made on the white board. It just goes to show how excited they were about Rachel Wildavsky's book. I particularly like the girl with the bow and magnifying glass. It reminded me of Nancy Drew from my day.

All in all, it was a wonderful event. One More Page Books came and did a fantastic job with the book sales, and Rachel patiently answered all the kids questions, even though she had a meeting shortly after the event. Here's to the spirit of reading and the thrill of spy adventures: mission accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment