Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Strange Case of Origami Yoda


Holy batman. This. Was. An Awesome. Book. I just finished the Strange Case of Origami Yoda by Tom Angleberger. I've heard of the new upcoming book by this author, Horton Halfpott: Or The Fiendish Mystery of Smugwick Manor described by the author as everything he ever wanted in a mystery as a boy. And although I find the premise of his new book pretty darn interesting, The Strange Case of Origami Yoda will be a tough act to follow.

I've heard the term, "books for reluctant readers" thrown around a lot lately at the library. Books such as Diary of A Wimpy Kid get grouped into this category. Books that have visual elements or story lines that really speak to the middle school age group. Well, in my opinion the Strange Case of Origami Yoda hit the ball out of the park. Several of the characters reminded me of people I knew in middle school, back in the ancient decade of the 90's. Dwight's character in particular reminded me of an old friend. Plus the dilemma in this book centered around the hot topic of middle school, young love. All that was missing was those little notepaper footballs that you fold up and pass as notes. Angleberger aptly juggled multiple narrators and through the great wisdom of origami Yoda made all their stories entertwine at the end. It must be the force at work here. Either way, check it out. It's a good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment