Friday, October 22, 2010

And Now for Something Completely Different....


Sometimes I get frustrated staring at that little blinking cursor on the screen trying to force the words out of my brain for a story. (This is on a bad day of writing of course.) Although the words do have days when they flow, I've had days where my words are more stubborn than toddlers.

So I have to say, it was very interesting to try telling the story another way for a change. Storytelling. For someone who generally gets nervous about being in front of big groups of people, I picked a hilarious career. As a Children's Library Associate I spend a lot of time up front talking, reading books and singing more renditions of the itsy, bitsy spider than I can count on a hand. But storytelling was something completely new.

Granted, these weren't my own stories I was telling. It was part of a Thursday night Folktale Program I started. Normally I would choose books to read to the kids. But lately, I've been running out. So when there are no Folktale books for a country.... things get a little.... crazy. Needless to say I found myself last week in front of about 35 people telling the Slovak tale of Strawberries in Winter. This week, it was a Slovenian legend about the Predjama Castle. And something happened when I got up in front of a group to tell the story. They started adding to the story. I had kids come up to play some of the parts. The boy playing Erazem the mischevious knight said have a good meal in Slovenian as he tossed the cow over the castle wall, ( Erazem taunted his pursuerers by tossing them meals over his castle walls.) The small girl barely visible beneath the blanket and crown added a bit of irony to the part of the emperor in the story. It was interesting how much of a life of its own the story took on as we told it. It makes me wonder what kind of different shape the printed story takes in each reader's mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment