Monday, June 28, 2010

ALA Conference... A Candy Store For Librarians....

The ALA (American Library Association) Conference was in Washington DC this year. It was my first time going and I was blown away. It had the two things that librarians love most: books and those little werther's candies. If it wasn't enough to frolic among the sea of publishing companies, and see what they've cooked up next, a huge number of authors were there signing books. It was encouraging that I recognized a number of the faces already. Carol Millward was there with Westside Books, (see earlier post on her book.) Moira Rose Donohue was also there signing her book, Penny And The Punctuation Bee. And later on, I finally located Amy Brecount White at the Harper Collin's Pavilion in the afternoon. I'm excited to get the chance to read her book, Forget Her Nots. There were other authors there that I don't know but have read their books. Mitali Perkins was there with her new book, Bamboo People. Grace Lin brought copies of her new book, Wing And Ting. And the list goes on....

For an aspiring writer, it was so heart warming to see so many familiar faces at a signing event. Knowing people who are out there signing books somehow makes the prospect of having a published book of my own more real.

It was also exciting to see a little less vampire and a little more of anything else on the market. Zombies seem to be stepping up to the plate with the new collection of short stories, "Zombie vs Unicorn". Other than being the perfect gift for my friend Ashley, this book pits unicorn and zombie short stories against each other in a battle to the.... undeath? It was so inspiring, I came home with an idea for a short story about a postman in a post-apocalyptic zombie world... how would you deliver the mail with poodles and zombies to worry about? Sadly, I have no fun zombie artwork to put up with this post. Either way, I'm going to sign off now and hopefully get some writing done after this crazy weekend....

No comments:

Post a Comment