Saturday, April 24, 2010

Cerberus Munches On A Plot

Okay. I'll admit it. The movie is never as good as the book. It's almost a certainty. The new Lightning Thief movie is no exception. But don't write it off as just another book turned movie. Movies reach a different audience than just the books do and sometimes even encourage movie-viewers to go back and read the book.

I put out a display at the library of books with Greek mythology themes in honor of the Lightning Thief. I've been utterly flabbergasted at how the display is almost empty at the end of each day. Copies of the Iliad and the Odyssey are snatched up and read without a school assignment. So awesome. I almost can't believe how much the Lightning Thief has encouraged readers to explore classic literature. It's moments like this that assure me my library job is the best thing since sliced bread or reese cups. There are other fiction options around with mythology slants such as The Thief By Megan Whalen Turner, Dusssie by Nancy Springer or for younger readers Medusa Jones by Ross Collins. It makes me wonder if I'll wake up tomorrow and there will be a run on the Norse mythology shelves. You just never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment