Wednesday, March 10, 2010

MD/DE/WV Conference 2010

Last weekend, I went to the MD/DE/WV Writer's Conference. I've heard a lot of people argue that writer's conferences are a waste of time. But honestly, I think any event that brings together a large number of hopeful illustrators and writers can't be a bad thing. Kudos to the planners of the conference that arranged the seating at round tables. It made it a lot easier to strike up a conversation with the seven other people sitting at the table around us.


I met some very interesting people at my table. There was an Illustrator from Delaware who told me about the preference in the industry for ink and watercolor drawings. I've never even thought about the illustrator's struggle in book publishing.


There was also a YA author at my table, Carol Larese Milward, and a teacher/ writer named Mindy. Carol published a book dealing with teen pregnancy, (more about this in another post.) I could tell from talking to her that she's very passionate about writing and the subject of her book. And I think that's the best thing to take away from a conference. The knowledge that I am not alone as an aspiring writer.




No comments:

Post a Comment